In the year 2013, the AIDS Foundation of Chicago has set three broad goals in its 2013-15 Strategic Plan:
- Catalyze actions to reduce health disparities and strengthen communities
- Provide leadership and vision for integrated service systems
- Improve outcomes at every stage of HIV care
Our policy work is key to ensuring these goals can be met. AFC works on local policy in the Chicago region and Illinois as well as on the national level. A few of the issues that the AIDS Foundation of Chicago has focused on this year are:
- Comprehensive sexual health education for Illinois youth as an HIV prevention tool
- Reducing and eliminating systemic discrimination against HIV-affected individuals by advocating against HIV criminalization, weak confidentiality protections, and an outdated principal notification statute
- Fighting budget cuts to essential HIV/AIDS services
- Supporting increased Medicaid access for low-income under- and uninsured Illinoisans
Click here to read AFC's Strategic Plan.
Click on the links to the left to see previous policy priorities over the years.